Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Worrying/Praying Mommy 101

How do you manage your fears?
As a mommy, worrying is part of our job description right? I worry about my kids constantly. Their health, future, etc. We worry and we pray. A LOT. 

1 Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray without ceasing"

I own that verse! :)


When I worry I get anxiety. When I have anxiety I pray. A lot! I know God made me perfectly and uniquely and he knows I have anxiety and fear, but it wasn't until recently that someone described my anxiety as a SIN. ANXIETY A SIN? It's an affliction. It's in me. It's my genetic make-up right? It's a direct result to circumstance, or lack of stress management, but a sin? Doctors don't call it that. My mother doesn't call it that. It's so widely accepted these days that it seems as if every other person has some form of it and though I am not, a lot of folks just take a pill and move forward.


I have been afraid as long as I can remember. When we moved to our first "owned" home on Griselda Drive (Love that I will always remember my first address) I was terrified of night things. Ware wolves, monsters, etc. I insisted that my parent's keep their doors open. At five I became afraid of Santa Clause. (I know I'm a dork.) We had a fire going and I was just sure he would be angry about not getting down the chimney safely and kidnap me to teach my parents a lesson. I was afraid of kidnappers, robbers, dogs, sharks, large cats, and on and on. As I got older a lot of my fears subsided, but some remained and someone decided to put a name on it for me. Anxiety. I didn't/don't want anxiety so I decided to pray it away. 
It was the same prayer every night and sometimes in the day. "Dear Jesus, Please give me the ability to overcome my fears and worries. Please take away this anxiety from me so I can be a person at peace." Sometimes i was more specific asking things like: "Please help me to stop being afraid at night of break-ins." 
I have tried other methods also. I don't watch scary shows or movies. Goodbye to my beloved CSI and Law and Order. I was having too many nightmares. 
So, if I was praying and trying to mind my p's and q's of curbing my fears, why wasn't he curing me? Not only did I not think of it as a sin, I certainly didn't think it was my own fault. It was just an affliction and he was going to, leprosy style, remove it from me upon my request. Then I read this verse and things started making sense: 
Matthew 6:8 Do not be like them(Heathens), for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.It occurred to me that maybe I AM a part of the problem. I have a sin that I need to confess as such instead of begging as though I am helpless. If I follow my own beliefs I am not, in fact helpless. 
Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
"I will sing to the Lord, and I will lift my voice. For you have heard my cry!" 
He has given me the tools I need to work on eliminating the sin of Anxiety and worry. He has promised me faithfulness and that his plans are to prosper me. Because of my own free will I can get into my own way. Begging the Lord for something he has already provided is wasting my own time. 

When you worry as a Mommy for your children, be sure to ground yourself on the promises of the Father! I've always been a fan if eradicating something rather than medicating it, but now I can see that I was "owning" my sin instead of laying it at the foot of the cross and walking away with a thankful FEARLESS heart and mind. 

Courtney

2 comments:

  1. what great words and insights Courtney! I will take these to heart today - thanks for the reminders, and the verses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post.
    as a mom, i can really relate to the crazy feelings of worry which can fill a mother's heart. but, you're so very right here. thanks!

    ReplyDelete